Monday, September 8, 2008

Top 5...

This post, entitled "Top 5 reasons Jordan should live in the Dominican Republic," is dedicated to my lovely sister. Those of you who know Jordan well know that she loves to eat. This is why she would fit in perfectly here in the DR.

5. Breakfast is a huge meal here. Jordan likes breakfast, I however, do not. Usually I get 2 grilled salami and cheese sandwiches; mango; apple; bowl of cornflakes; and scrambled eggs. The sandwich is called "pan," which really just means bread. So at first whenever my doña asked me if I wanted pan for breakfast, I said yes because I thought it would just be toast. It is not. Apparently pan can be anything, as long as it is accompanied by bread. ** It should be noted this category could also fall under the title of why Pete and Thomas would like to live in the Dominican Republic. When I texted them about the salami and cheese sandwiches for breakfast, both boys eagerly responded with "YUM!" **

4. Also, with breakfast I get coffee. With sugar, but no milk. I probably drink coffee 5 times a day, and it is too hot for that kind of beverage! My doña gives me coffee with every meal, whenever I am sitting on the front porch, and before bed. Jordan loves coffee (even though it's slightly different than Starbucks), and thus she would appreciate this aspect of the Dominican culture.

3. My doña also makes homemade fruit juices, which are actually more like smoothies. They are delicious, and I have now had one with about every type of fruit found in this country. Over the summer, Jordan used to make a smoothie every morning for breakfast, so that's one more reason she should come here.

2. Ice cream trucks are so common in the barrios here. One drives past my street every 5 minutes, and the most expensive item is 20 pesos. Back on Sims Road, Jordan used to moan and groan about how ice cream trucks would never come to our neighborhood, so she would LOVE this.

1. And most importantly.... whenever we are sitting in traffic, men walk around the cars and sell snacks - potato chips, candy bars, popsicles - all for about 5 pesos. It is the perfect way to break up the monotony of traffic. And although I have yet to buy anything, I have a feeling that Jordan would not exhibit the same self-control.

4 comments:

JRamsey said...

IM SOLD!!!

Spring break 09!

by the way....i just ate too much cupcake batter....

Anonymous said...

you should change number 5 to number 1, that's the best part, salami and cheese sandwiches and cereal!

Unknown said...

i agree with pete you cant go wrong there

Anonymous said...

oh to be young again and able to eat like this! i am sure ALL the youth at church would love to eat like this(i know Tyler & Lance would). as for the ice cream truck there is not enough money to keep Lance happy!