Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Constanza

Tomorrow, all 17 of the youth development volunteers will pack up our bags and leave the big city of Santo Domingo for the smaller mountain town of Constanza. We will be in Constanza for about 5 weeks, where we will work directly with youth organizations. I am so ready for this! I'm ready to start working with the kids so that this trip will stop feeling like a fun summer abroad, and more like that of a Peace Corps volunteer. In Constanza, I'll stay with another host family...hopefully one that is as good as the one here in Santo Domingo. After the 5 weeks are over, I'll come back to the city for about a week before I find out my site for the next two years.

Constanza is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL! A lot of flowers that the Dominican Republic exports are grown in this region, and it is known for its large harvests of strawberries. It's in the mountains, so it will be cooler (thank goodness!), and it should have a lot of hiking trails to keep us busy on the weekends. I know we're going to go on a 5 hour walk through a rain forest during one weekend, so I cannot wait for that!

No comments: