Monday, August 10, 2009

Javier se va

It's been awhile since I've been lonely, so I guess the time is overdue. I just heard (not from the primary source, but from people in the barrio) that Javier is leaving. He's leaving Baoba - he's leaving me - to go work in Bavaro. I understand that it's a great opportunity; there aren't many work options available in Baoba, and it will definitely be good for him. But selfishly, I want him to stay. I want him to stay here and go to school and go with me to Escojo conferences.

What makes this news especially sad is that John Carlos and Meri left today to live with their father in Puerto Plata. And while Meri is only planning on staying there for 15 days, until school begins again, John Carlos is going to live and work there. Once again, it's a great opportunity for him - to work during the day and go to school at night - but I want him here with me.

I think it's common knowledge here in Baoba that I like the boys more than the girls. I can just sit and talk with the guys. They tell me like it is, and there's no drama. With the guys, I can watch baseball on tv and don't have to pretend to be all involved in the Dominican soap operas. And of course, the endless flirting with them doesn't hurt my ego. And out of all of the guys here in Baoba and in my Escojo group, Javier and John Carlos are my favorites.

They visit me in my house. They help me with whatever I need (killing termites; driving me around Baoba; hammering nails in the house). They participate in Escojo meetings and make and make sure that everyone is listening to me. They dance with me at parties. And they tell other guys that I don't like the constant "pssssst gringa" when I walk past. In short, they take care of me. And even though they're both younger than me (Javier is 18 and John Carlos is 17), they're probably my best friends here. I highly doubt that they realize how much I appreciate them, but they are two of the reasons why I look forward to returning to Baoba whenever I am in the capital.

It's so hard for me to make good friends here. Sure, I have people who want to use my stuf (ipod, straightening iron, blow dryer, computer, dvds, books, etc.) and I have my "students" who are in my English class and summer school. But friends - real riends, who I can trust and who have the patience to listen to me slowly work out what I want to say in Spanish - are hard to come by. So when I find those people who I can talk to and be myself around, I attach myself to them. And now my two best friends - my two brothers - are leaving, and the loneliness is returning.

No comments: