Thursday, October 2, 2008

Vamos a la playa!

Here it is...the news you have all been waiting for...

For the next two years (starting November 1), I am going to be living in a small coastal town called Baoba. It´s a rural campo on the northeastern coast of the island. In case you can't find it on the map, the closest beach is called La Entrada, and the closest large(r) city is called Cabrera. I am so extremely excited about this because there were only 3 beach sites, and I got one of them! A youth volunteer who has been in country for about 1 year is living about 20 minutes away, and another youth volunteer from my group is going to live about 30 minutes away.

Instead of working with a formal government-based organization, I´m going to be working with the youth group in the town. The pros of this are that I will have a lot of flexibility and will be able to implement a variety of projects that I want to, without conforming to the rules and regulations of a formal organization. However, the cons are that the group will probably be unorganized and lacking structure. A large part of my job will be to work with sports teams in Baoba because there are some sports facilities in the town, and I will also work on building leadership skills with the older youth in the town.

Because I am in a beach town and close to many resorts, I expect lots of visitors! Come see me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren,
Here's a little humor for you:
Sounds like life is going to be rough for the next 2 yrs (HAHA). Any way enjoy the beach life(don't turn in to a beach bum).

Teach the youth over there how to play American sports!