Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Quick Update

I'm here at a internet center and don't have much time. However I feel guilty if I'm every on the computer and don't update my blog, so here's a quick rundown on what's going on in my life right now.

I still have my Escojo (sex-ed course) group, meeting every Wednesday night. Now there are a lot more kids that want to join the group, so I'm reteaching the course. But there's a catch: I, personally, am not teaching the course again. The kids who have already graduated from the course are going to teach the entire course to the newbies. We'll see how that goes. And in October, I'm taking two kids (Frank and Nanci) to Santo Domingo for the 5th Annual National Escojo Conference.

I am tutoring about 8 kids (one hour a day, two days a week) in basic reading and math skills. This is going a lot better than my summer school because I only have to deal with one kid at a time.

And English class has restarted. I really did not want to teach english again, but the people here have not stopped bugging me. So it's another basic english class. It's set to last two months, and the kids probably won't learn anything except "hello. how are you?" And judging from how the last course went, I'll be very frustrated by the time the course is over. But luckily, the course ends just one week before I am headed on a plane to the US! YAY!!

And I have been traveling. I went down south to Barahona with about 15 girls to celebrate another volunteer's upcoming wedding. We had a makeshift bachelorette party, peace-corps style, and lots of time at the beach. It was the first time here that I've really felt like I was on vacation, so that was nice. And I also went out to Samana with a few of my Dominican neighbors. About 20 of us climbed in the back of a pickup truck to meet Sofia and Miguel's family, who live in Las Galeras. Pictures of both of these events are posted online.

No comments: